Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Quintessential Quote #8

"My dear Waton, I cannot agree with those who rank modesty among the virtues. To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are, and to underestimate one's self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one's own powers."
-- "The Greek Interpreter"
Our first response might be, "Holmes not modest? Well, that's obvious!" Perhaps so. But it may be less apparent that, as noted in a previous post, Holmes is actually humble.

In this opening scene from "The Greek Interpreter," for example, Holmes goes on to explain that his brother Mycroft is even more gifted at deduction than he is. This is not modesty, but humility. Holmes clearly knew the difference.

What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes quote?

1 comment:

  1. Somehow, Sherlock praising his brother as the more gifted, more brilliant Holmes makes Sherlock seem even MORE talented. Something about his candor and humility strips the praise he gets from others to nothing but the naked truth.

    You know how when someone admires a person and you automatically take it down a notch, thinking the admirer is a bit colored in his view? Well, this story, for me - this quote - made me go, 'Holy cow, everything (good) ever said about Sherlock IS true!'

    I loved this story, not only for the introduction of Mycroft (a strange man himself) but Sherlock’s view of him.

    Oh, and I couldn’t possibly pick one favorite quote from canon!

    ReplyDelete