Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Baker Street Beat Goes to Dartmoor


My friend, neighbor, and high school classmate Nino Catanzaro not long ago went to Dartmoor. On a visit to the former Duchy Hotel in Princetown, now a visitor center, he took with him a copy of my Baker Street Beat.

In this photo taken at the Duchy, Nino's British friend Dennis Moore is holding my book on the left of the photo and Nino is holding a nice edition of The Hound of the Baskervilles, which he later gave me as a gift. Sherlock Holmes, the Hound, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are behind them on the stairs.

None of my books was ever before in such good company!

The Duchy is significant because Arthur Conan Doyle and Bertram Fletcher Robinson stayed there in 190, forever associating the place with The Hound of the Baskervilles. Paul Spiring, a true expert on Robinson and the whole issue of his contribution to The Hound, clarified their relationship with the hotel in a Facebook message to me:

"ACD and BFR only stayed there for a night or two. ACD wrote to his mother when he was there, and said that he had already written half of it - presumably the first five London-based chapters. The remainder was written in the following two months presumably from notes that were crafted at the Duchy."

Paul wrote about this extensively on his website.

My wife and I plan our own pilgrimage to Dartmoor next June, and I will take with me a copy of Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes and Devon. In this book, Brian W. Pugh, Paul R. Spiring and Sadru Bhanji have put together an invaluable guide for a wandering Sherlockian such as yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment