Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Friday, December 16, 2011

The Question Our Grandson Asked


"Was that your first Sherlock Holmes book, Papa?" asked Vince, soon to be eight years old.

My answer was either "yes and no" or "yes, sort of." I forget which.

The book in question, one of a few hundred in my Sherlockian library, was Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (no definite article) published by Whitman Publishing Co. of Racine, WI. The volume was intended for children, but the stories are not adapted in any way -- although only eight stories, not the full Baker Street dozen. (There's no "Scandal in Bohemia," for example.)

I owned a book just like this early in life. Somewhere along the way, though, I lost it. Later, I was able to acquire two copies at different times -- one of which I promised Vince I will someday give to him if he retains his current interest in Sherlock Holmes.

My library contains several other books that were important to be in my early development as a Sherlockian. I originally borrowed The Boys' Sherlock Holmes, Profile by Gaslight, Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street, 221B: Studies in Sherlock Holmes, and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (among many others) from the public library.

What a joy it was later to be able to actually own my own copy of each, in many cases one exactly like the edition I had encountered as a child! What a treat to be able to held them in my hands and page through whenever I want!

What are some of the significant and sentimental books in your Sherlock Holmes library?

No comments:

Post a Comment