Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Quintessential Quote #48

" Education never ends, Watson. It is a series of lessons with the greatest for the last."
-- Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Red Circle"
The wisdom of this statement is probably much more apparent to me now than it was when I first read it more than four decades ago.

My own life's journey certainly has been filled with lessons. And I hope that the greatest is saved for last -- although I am in no hurry to find out!

When did Holmes receive that last lesson? David Ruffle's new book, Holmes and Watson: End Peace, records the death of Sherlock Holmes as happening in 1929. William S. Baring-Gould, in Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street, put the event much later, in 1957.

Messers Ruffle and Baring-Gould are in good company: The first author to write about the death of  Holmes (except perhaps in parodies) was . . .  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in "The Final Problem." Of course, that wasn't permanent.


Count me with Vincent Starrett, who argued that Sherlock Holmes "never lived, and so can never die." After all, his obituary has never appeared in The Times of London.



No comments:

Post a Comment