Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Sherlock in Chicago

Sherlockians are the nicest people.

Ann and I had a wonderful time in Chicago, where we went on Wednesday to address a dinner meeting of the Torists International, one of the Windy City's Sherlockian groups. We also had the pleasure of hanging out with our friend, fellow Sherlockian, and fellow mystery writer Felicia Carparelli.

There must be a thousand ways to run a scion meeting. Here's how this one worked:

We convened at a dandy suburban Chicago restaurant called Hackney's. First order of business, the cocktail hour, was highly successful from my point of view.

Then followed Sherlockian toasts before dinner. These were quite amusing.

Ann Andriacco, Felicia Carparelli, and Doctor Dan at the Torists meeting 
Afterwards, Felicia said a few words about her novel, Murder in the Library, a modern-day mystery with a Sherlockian twist. She's also the author of "The Mysterious Affair at Longbourn," a Jane Austin-inspired novella that is selling extremely well on Kindle.

I held forth for a half-hour on "Sherlock Holmes Gone to the Dogs: Canine Capers, Canonical and Otherwise." The audience was attentive.

Tony Citera, Chief Steward of the Torists, asked a few quiz questions about the story of the evening, "Silver Blaze." Those who answered successfully won prizes, including copies of my books, No Police Like Holmes and Holmes Sweet Holmes.

At the end of the meeting I had the distinct honor of reading aloud Vincent Starrett's poem "221 B," which seems to be a sort of closing ritual for the Torists.

I'm very grateful that the Torists asked me to join them for such an enjoyable evening of Sherlockian comraderie.

1 comment:

  1. I somehow missed this one the first time around. Expect to see an entry for it when I finish my Chicago Sherlockian-centric post. Obviously my motivation for writing a Special Edition-like Links Guide to Chicago (and Chicagoland) websites, scions, blogs, events, collections, bookstores and Chicago Sherlockian-related blog posts from the last few years highlighting all that sets Chicago apart from NYC, Minneapolis, London, Erin (OH), Philadelphia, Boston, et cetera. is approximately 73% self-serving. Essentially I would be creating a personal master 'to do' list. But, I'm sure it could also work as a useful "Guide To Sherlock and Chicago". If you happen to come across articles and the like that might fit my criteria, please send them my way Dan.

    ReplyDelete