Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Bringing Sherlock Home


It’s just not possible to visit London, Dartmoor, and Winchester without loading up on Sherlock Holmes souvenirs. At least, it wasn’t for me.
 
 
Of course, the ultimate source for mementos was the Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221B Baker Street. I bought a Sherlock Holmes tie (see above), a magnet, beer coasters, a game for the grandchildren, some post cards, and a rubber duckie in a deerstalker. I really had my eye on the walking stick with the Holmes head, but I thought it would be too diffiucult to carry on the plane.
 
 
I also didn't buy the tea set, but my character Lynda Teal did in my upcoming mystery novel, The Disappearance of Mr. James Phillimore. 
 
 
At Dartmoor, I couldn't resist buying a Penguin edition of The Hound of the Baskervilles. Sure, I already own several dozen copies, but this one has great endnotes. And I'll always remember that I bought it at the Dartmoor visitors center, standing next to the statues of Holmes and the Hound.
 
 
At Winchester I bought another copy for our younger son, Sgt. Mike. In high school he failed a test on The Hound, giving the excuse that he couldn't find a copy. At the time there were more than 40 copies on the shelves of our home library.   
 
 
Not being a true collector, I only bought one other Holmes-related book in England. It was Five Orange Pips and Other Cases. It's a handsome volume that attracted my attention mostly because I thought "The Five Orange Pips" an unusual story to be leading a collection. But it turned out to be a colleciton of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 12 favorite Holmes short stories, with an essay by him at the end of the book explaining why he chose each one. 
 
 
I picked up quite a few reminders of an unforgettable trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment