Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine


What a nice surprise showed up in my mailbox the other day -- three issues of Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine. They were a gift from my unlimited partner, wife Ann Brauer Andriacco.

SHMM is a blend of mystery fiction and non-fiction, some but not all of which has Sherlockian connections. It is edited by veteran mystery writer and anthologist Marvin Kaye, who recently agreed to buy for the magazine an article that I wrote on Rex Stout and Sherlock Holmes.


In Volume 1, Number 1 of SHMM, dated Winter 2008 -- one of the three issues above -- Mr. Kaye proclaimed a desire to publish genuine mysteries, as opposed to crime stories. "To me," he wrote, "a genuine mystery story is one that provides clues and red herrings, is reader-solvable (or at least creates that illusion!); that is, in short, an example of the fiction championed by Arthur Conan Doyle (sometimes!), by Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, Craig Rice, Clayton Rawson, Agatha Christie, John Dickson Carr, etc."

Music to my ears! That's the only kind of story I write. I look forward to reading the modern counterparts of those Golden Age masters in the pages of Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment