Last week turned out to be International Week here at Baker Street Beat as I interviewed my Italian and Polish translators and Mattias Boström, author of a new book on Sherlock Holmes in Swedish. This set me to thinking about the Holmes books in my library in languages other than English:
- Mattias's book, Från Holmes till Sherlock ("From Holmes to Sherlock" in English), is the most recent. It's a kind gift of the author.
- Tutto Sherlock Holmes, the complete Holmes in Italian, I asked a friend living in Rome to pick up for me. I read and speak Italian, although not as well as most of my Italian friends do English.
- Il Mastino dei Baskerville. I have two paperback editions of The Hound of the Baskervilles in Italian. They are different translations, and the comparisons and contrasts are fascinating.
- Die Abenteuer von Sherlock Holmes / Die Memoiren von Sherlock Holmes. This omnibus volume of the first two books of Holmes short stories has a special fondness for me because I bought it at Meiringen, Swizerland, during a never-to-be-forgotten trip to the Reichenbach Falls.
- Sherlock Holmes: Detektivkomödie in vier Aufzügen, a comic play in German by Ferdinand Bonn, which I wrote about a couple of years ago.