Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, July 1, 2013

The Wide World of Sherlock Holmes


Last week turned out to be International Week here at Baker Street Beat as I interviewed my Italian and Polish translators and Mattias Boström, author of a new book on Sherlock Holmes in Swedish. This set me to thinking about the Holmes books in my library in languages other than English:

  • Mattias's bookFrån Holmes till Sherlock ("From Holmes to Sherlock" in English), is the most recent. It's a kind gift of the author.
  • Tutto Sherlock Holmes, the complete Holmes in Italian, I asked a friend living in Rome to pick up for me. I read and speak Italian, although not as well as most of my Italian friends do English.
  • Il Mastino dei Baskerville. I have two paperback editions of The Hound of the Baskervilles in Italian. They are different translations, and the comparisons and contrasts are fascinating.
  • Die Abenteuer von Sherlock Holmes / Die Memoiren von Sherlock Holmes. This omnibus volume of the first two books of Holmes short stories has a special fondness for me because I bought it at Meiringen, Swizerland, during a never-to-be-forgotten trip to the Reichenbach Falls.
  • Sherlock Holmes: Detektivkomödie in vier Aufzügen, a comic play in German by Ferdinand Bonn, which I wrote about a couple of years ago. 
That isn't a lot, not even as a percentage of my small library. But it does remind me that that world of Sherlock Holmes is a wide world indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment