Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Talking Holmes with Sisters in Crime


Mystery writers are such interesting people.

On Saturday I had the fun of talking with the Louisville branch of Sisters in Crime about "What (Mystery) Writers Can Learn From Sherlock Holmes." I looked at Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes stories from the viewpoint of their writing, character, plot, and setting -- four indispensable ingredients of any fiction.

I began my talk, as I usually do these days, asking how many of them:

- Have seen one or more of the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes films?

- Are familiar with BBC Sherlock?

- Have watched the CBS program Elementary?

According to their show of hands, almost all of them!

The group meets at a Barnes & Noble store. One member of  my audience was a customer (not a Sister in Crime) who happened to walk by, stayed to hear my talk, and bought three of my books!  

Sisters in Crime, the chapter president noted, is more of a support group than a critique group. But they read each other's work with a critical eye and a readiness to offer helpful suggestions. Obviously, they also have speakers. Possibilities for upcoming meetings include the handler of a cadaver dog and a mixologist. Both intrigue me.

The chapter has produced two mystery anthologies featuring the Kentucky Derby and is working on a third with a bourbon theme. I'll drink to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment