Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Happy Birthday Indeed



If you've been following this blog for awhile, two things that you might know about me are that I have a Sherlock Holmes library, not a collection, and that I have more than 80 copies of The Hound of the Baskervilles.

To be specific . . . well, I can't be specific. Whenever I think I know how many Hounds I have, I find another one tucked away somewhere. But whatever the number is, it just grew by one - and it's an ideal one for my library.

Ann (the woman in my life) gave me a copy of The Sherlock Holmes Reference Library edition for my recent birthday. It's an oversize paperback, edited and with annotations by the remarkable Leslie S. Klinger, and published by the admirable Gasogene Press. Nicholas Meyer, himself no slouch, wrote the introduction.

There's just no excuse for me not to already have all ten volumes of The Sherlock Holmes Reference Library, but this only makes the third one on my shelves. That's a major lapse that I hope to remedy gradually. These books are invaluable for anyone who takes more than a casual approach to reading the Canon.

Klinger's modern classic, The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes in three-volumes, is a must-have for any serious Sherlockian. The Reference Library, which came first, isn't as handsome or well-illustrated as its successor. But it's a lot easier to carry around the individual volumes to meetings of your local Sherlock Holmes society!

No comments:

Post a Comment