Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Books for TV-Watchers



Some readers of this blog may have noticed that it has been something of a BBC Sherlock-free zone. While the rest of the Sherlock Holmes blogosphere and Twitterverse have been consumed with Season Three, Baker Street Beat has taken no notice.

Frankly, I'm just not much of a TV and movie guy. I'd rather read. I've seen all of the Sherlock episodes, but I wasn't in any hurry about it. I've only seen one episode of Elementary, the pilot.

Since I'm clearly in the minority among Sherlockians, however, many of you will find great interest in The Immortals: An Unauthorized Guide to Sherlock and Elementary (MX Publishing, 2013). In a brief couple of hundred pages, Mathew J. Ellitott -- himself the author of numerous Holmes works -- applies humor, discernment, and knowledge to his analysis of all of the programs that appeared through the 2012-2013 TV season.

In addition to giving a plot summary of each episode, Elliott also provides:
  • Holmes's notable moments,
  • Watson's notable moments,
  • Notable moments of the police regulars,
  • Identification of material drawn from the Canon,
  • Sex and romantic relationships,
  • Drug references,
  • Comedic moments,
  • Logical inconsistencies.
Whew!

I also commend to your attention Benedict Cumberbatch in Transition: An Unauthorized Performance Biography (MX Publishing, 2013) by popular culture writer Lynnette Porter. For anyone interested in Cumberbatch not just as Sherlock Holmes but as a marvelous actor (See Star Trek: Into the Darkness for proof), this is the book to have.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Dan in that reading the Canon makes you apply your own imaginative processes. I quite like Sherlock as a pastiche but my favourite series is the Granada one featuring Jeremy Brett. I think this got the nearest to what I imagined things should be.

    ReplyDelete