Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Support Your Local Publisher

Wessex Press display at Scintillation of Scions 

Serious readers (like me) like to extol the virtues of the small, independent bookstore. We probably give less thought to the important role of small presses.Without them many books would never see the light of day, and that's especially true of mysteries in general and Sherlock Holmes books in particular. 

My publisher Steve Emecz, in a Skype conversation with me a few months ago, said that he considered  it a compliment when one of his authors left MX Publishing to go with a bigger publisher. Although Steve has now published something like 150 Holmes books by more than 60 authors, he's essentially a one-man band.

I can understand why a writer would answer the siren song of a Penguin or a Bantam with a big name and a big marketing budget. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the intimate experience of working with a small publisher. At MX, the top guy (who is the only guy) is easy to reach and lets me work on the covers.

While MX is the largest Holmes-niche publisher in terms of books produced, it is also among the newest. Wessex Press, founded by Steven Doyle and Mark Gagen in 1992, may be the oldest. It has outlasted a number of others - including Gasogene Books, which it acquired - by producing good books in attractive editions. I have quite a few Wessex/Gasogene books in my library, but not as many as I should have.

Please support small publishers. They help to make the world a more interesting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment