Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Quintessential Quote #17


"You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive."
-- Sherlock Holmes, A Study in Scarlet, Chapter 1


Almost all of us remember this near-magical quote as Sherlock Holmes's first words to Dr. Watson. But they aren't. His first words actually are, "How are you?" Only then does he utter the above.

One of the great moments in the BBC's first episode of "Sherlock" is when the eponymous hero says to Watson something like, "Which was it -- Iraq or Afghanistan?"

Nobody has ever told us as much about Dr. Watson's days in Afghanistan than retired miltiary man Kieran McMullan in Watson's Afghan Adventure.

I thought it would be fun to see how someone serving in Afghanistan would read the novel, so I sent a copy to Sgt. Mike Andriacco,USAF, our son. Here is his review:

"Though Watson's Afghan Adventure was slow at times, the action really picked up at some key points and kept me engaged. In the down time, I enjoyed tracking Watson's movements through Afghanistan on the map. McMullen does a solid job painting a picture of what's it's like to work with the Afghan people, then and now. A quick read with some real action and adventure, the title doesn't lie. I give it three and a half out of five stars."

What's your favorite quote from the world of Sherlock Holmes?

No comments:

Post a Comment