Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Sherlock Holmes Christmas


For me, Christmas always evokes memories of "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle." Well, a lot more than that, but this is a Sherlock Holmes blog. And Christmas is also a time to think of the Sherlockians on your gift list.

The flood of Sherlock Holmes books out in recent years has made it impossible for me to keep up with even a fraction of what's out there, so this isn't meant to be representative, much less comprehensive. I'm just going to suggest a few current books that I've enjoyed.

Sherlock Holmes: Have Yourself a Chaotic Little Christmas by Gwendolyn Frame is a wonderful Advent calendar of Holmes stories and sketches of many different types. My particular favorites are "Mycroft's Gift" (how the elder Holmes really first met Watson); "Stepping Through the Wardrobe" (which unites the Holmes universe with that of another classic English series; and "Sherlock's Twelve3 Days of Christmas."

Sherlock Holmes and the Missing Snowman by David Ruffle and Rikey Austin. I've already lauded this delightful book, a perfect gift for any Sherlockian but especially the younger ones.

The Many Watsons by Kieran McMullen. This is the book many of us had hoped for -- a compilation of Kieran's fascinating blog posts on all the actors who have played Dr. Watson, including several women.

Sherlock Holmes and the Lyme Regis Trials by David Ruffle. The final book of the Lyme Regis trilogy. Having visited Lyme Regis in October, I can tell you that David's books really bring this seaside resort town to life.

Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Boer Wagon by Kieran McMullan. This is the last (so far) in what has beomce a series of three books about the war service of Holmes and Watson. Will there be more? Time will tell.

A Chronology of the Life of Arthur Conan Doyle: Expanded Edition by Brian W. Pugh. What an unbelievable reference work! This oversized book recounts the events of an extremely active man's life virtually day by day.

The 1895 Murder by Dan Andriacco. I know of at least three people who are giving copies of my third Sebastian McCabe - Jeff Cody book for Christmas, and I am one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment