Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, December 10, 2012

The Dogs of Dartmoor

On Dartmoor one is tempted to look at any dog and say, "It's the Hound of the Baservilles!" We saw several as we walked across the moors and the tors. For example:

Actually, that is the Hound of the Baskervilles. He greets visitors at the Dartmoor National Park Visitors Centre. A hundred years ago it was a hotel, and Arthur Conan Doyle stayed there on his visit.

When we went there in October, I bought a wonderfully annotated edition of The Hound. We also had our photo taken with someone else closely associates with the events surrounding the Baskerville family:


Travel is wonderful. I'm so blessed to have had opportunities to visit other countries to an extent that I never dreamed of when I was a boy. Fortunately, reading really is the next best thing to being there. And because library cards are free, it's a magic door to travel that is available to everyone. If you've never been to Dartmoor, it's all there in one of the greatest detective novels ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment