Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Illustrious Company, Indeed


Since 1981, I've been a proud member of the Tankerville Club, the Cincinnati scion society of the Baker Street Irregulars. Last fall, I also joined the Illustrious Clients, a scion in nearby Indianapolis with a long and distinguished history of contributing to the scholarship of Sherlock Holmes.

Yesterday I received in the mail two back issues of The Illustrious Clients News, the impressive newsletter of the scion. I was delighted to read the estimable Pat Ward's following account of my talk to the Clients in November:
The Illustrious Client, Don Curtis, then introduced the evening's featured speaker, Dan Andriacco. A mystery writer and noted Sherlockian, Mr. Andriacco gave a lively and informative presentation on Rex Stout, the Indiana-born author and curmudgeon who created the detective Nero Wolfe and was one of the earliest members of the Baker Street Irregulars. Among his many accomplishments, Mr. Stout created a furor when he suggested that Dr. Watson was a woman. Mr. Andriacco spoke concerning Mr. Stout's occasionally contentious relations with other Sherlockians, and gave a superb overview and assessment of Mr. Stout's work, Nero Wolfe, and the mystery world. After Mr. Andriacco's excellent presentation, his wife Ann read Vincent Starrett's poem "221B" to conclude the evening.
Next to writing itself, talking to groups is one of the most fun parts of being a writer. If you would like me to give a talk to your group, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment