Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Holmes Among the Swedes



A fellow Cincinnatian who is a native of Sweden plans to translate my first Sebastian McCabe - Jeff Cody mystery novel, Holmes Sweet Holmes, into Swedish. This is very appropriate for a couple of reasons.

First of all, the book includes a minor character who is Swedish. (My translator has already informed me that I spelled his name wrong.) Secondly, almost all of the characters in the tale are Sherlockians – and Sweden has a lot of those.

“Traditionally Scandinavia has been a great market for Sherlock Holmes books,” my Swedish friend Mattias Boström , author of Från Holmes till Sherlock (“From Holmes to Sherlock”) told me earlier this year in a memorable interview. “Films and TV series are equally popular. And there are Sherlock Holmes societies in Sweden and Denmark.”

Sherlock Holmes Klubben i Danmark, the Danish version of the Baker Street Irregulars, was founded in 1950. The first Swedish society was active during the 1960s and 1970s. The present one, The Baskerville Hall Club of Sweden, was founded in 1979 and has approximately 80 members.

I hope they won’t mind a story in which one Sherlockian is murdered and all the others are suspects!

No comments:

Post a Comment