Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Quintessential Quote #47

"Violence does, in truth, recoil upon the violent, and the schemer falls into the pit which he digs for another."
-- Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" 
Whenever I read this splendid quote, the crisp, sonorous voice I hear in my head is that of Basil Rathbone. I don't know if that's from listening to the recording of him reading the story or from hearing his radio version.

At any rate, the quote has always seemed to be like a set piece, by which I mean a nice piece of writing that was just dropped into the story rather than flowing out of it. It's almost as though Holmes is quoting something else. So far as I know, he is not.

Another strange aspect for me is the phrase "in truth," as if Holmes is saying, "See, I told you so."

Many villains in the Canon are dispatched before they can be brought before the bar of justice, but I can't think of another who met a fate similar to that of Dr. Grimesby Roylott. Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment