Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Doctor Watson, Detective?

Your scribe with the first issue of The Watsonian

Janis Wilson's speculation, reported here on Wednesday, that Dr. Watson could have solved the Jack the Ripper killings fits neatly into my own thesis.

In "Doctor Watson, Detective?" my essay in the inaugural issue of The Watsonian, official journal of the John H. Watson Society, I answered my own question in the article's title affirmatively.

The argument developed in my six-page article is too comprehensive to repeat here, but essentially I assert that Holmes was too harsh in his criticism and too sparing in his praise for the good doctor's abilities in the sleuthing line. But I also note that he is always a man of action and romance rather than one of ratiocination.

I conclude:


Doctor Watson, detective? He certainly is – just not a detective in the mold of his mentor. With his predilection for action, adventure, and the ready use of his revolver, Watson’s sleuthing style is more Birdie Edwards than Sherlock Holmes.  And wasn’t Birdie “the best man in the Pinkerton service” (VALL)? 

What do you think -- Doctor Watson, Detective - yes or no?

No comments:

Post a Comment