Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Reflections of a Sherlockian Spouse

Ann and I in the dealers' room with a customer - photo courtesy of Steve Doyle

I could go on and on about the joys of the Gillette to Brett IV conference last weekend, organized by Steve  Doyle and Mark Gagen of Wessex Press. And eventually I will in future blog posts. But today I'm turning this forum over to the most long-suffering of spouses, Ann Brauer Andriacco. Here is her report, which I encourage Sherlockians to share with their reluctant Significant Others:
 

I am a Sherlockian Spouse…which is better than being a Sherlockian Widow. I read the stories and enjoy them, but I have not yet committed every detail to memory as has my husband.

Three years ago I attended my first real conference at the Gillette to Brett III in Bloomington, Indiana. I remember a long drive in the rain and not knowing many people. I am an extrovert, but I didn’t want to barge in on groups already in animated discussions, so it was being on the outside looking in for me.

What a difference a few years…and several conferences later can make! I met wonderful many people at A Scintillation of Scions in Maryland in 2013 and 2014, and enjoyed very much all the talks and presentations. I had begun to put faces with names.  I found out I really didn’t have to have everything memorized to enjoy myself.  This year’s Gillette to Brett IV was incredible. I am so glad I went.
  
The Lilly Library stands out as a highlight for me. Not only do they let you LOOK at manuscripts like a Shakespeare Folio, an illuminated manuscript from the 12th century or an original script for a Sherlock Holmes movie, they let you TOUCH them. I want to go back for more.

And the talks, film screenings and conversations were the best! Can’t wait for the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment