Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Holmes, Doyle Profile: Regina Stinson

Regina Stinson and her Sherlockian crafts
My friend Regina Stinson will be speaking at Holmes, Doyle, & Friendsthe annual Sherlockian conference in Dayton, OH, for the second time. This year her topic is "Disguise and Deception" in the Canon. Here's another look at the interview I did with her last year:  

When and how did you first encounter Mr. Sherlock Holmes?

It was during the summer when I was allowed to stay up and watch the late show on TV—I was probably about 12, or so—when I first saw the Basil Rathbone series of Sherlock Holmes movies. My older brother informed me that these were updated and that the Holmes of the stories was from an earlier era. He also gave me a paperback book containing a collection of short stories. Craving more Holmes, I bought myself a complete Canon and the thing blossomed from there.

You make a wide range of beautiful and creative Sherlockian crafts. How did that come about?

I was looking for a way to support my dear friend Jacquelynn Morris with her symposium, A Scintillation of Scions, and being somewhat artistic, I came up with the idea to make a Sherlockian charm bracelet for their auction. It was so popular that people were asking me if I made jewelry to sell. One thing led to another and I began selling my creations. The first symposium I ever sold at was in Dayton. I also sell my items on Etsy under the name Artful Pippin.

How did you come to start the Ribston-Pippins in 1988? And don’t forget to explain the name!

I had wanted to join a scion society for some time and had made several calls to the contact person for the Amateur Mendicants, but all I got were promises that they would be starting up again soon. (They had been on a long hiatus.) I finally decided that if I wanted to belong to a scion, I’d have to start my own. So, I distributed fliers to libraries and bookstores in my area announcing our first meeting, which took place at our home on November 18, 1988. We had about 12 members at that time and have been studying the Canon and having Sherlockian fun since then! (Ten years later, the Amateur Mendicants started up again.)

Oh yes, the name. We were looking for a name that hadn’t been used before and that sounded interesting. I leafed through Tracy’s Encyclopaedia Sherlockiana when I ran across the term “Ribston-Pippin.” We had a vote at our second meeting and everyone liked that name best. It comes from Watson’s description of one of the men, James Lancaster, who came to interview with “Captain Basil” in “The Adventure of Black Peter.” Subsequently, we acquired a member who actually grew Ribston-pippins in his yard. His chosen nom was “James Lancaster,” of course.

To what other Sherlockian groups do you belong?

I’m in the BSI, ASH, Hounds of the Baskerville (sic), Amateur Mendicants, Watson’s Tin Box, Illustrious Clients, and Bar of Gold.

What has it meant to you over the decades to be part of worldwide community of friends devoted to Sherlock Holmes?

I love being a part of this wonderful community! I’ve met a lot of great people and become close friends with many of them. I feel like I’ve found my people!

When did you become a member of the Baker Street Irregulars?

I was given the investiture of “A Little Ribston-Pippin” in 2006.

What did that feel like?

It was one of the most awesome experiences in my life! I was floating on a cloud for a long time. I’m sincerely honored to be a part of this illustrious organization.

What question have I not asked you that you would like to answer?

Have you ever had anything of your Sherlockian writings published? Yes! I’ve had two small monographs published in the Baker Street Journal, a short story published in Charles Prepolec’s Curious Incidents II, and essays in About Sixty and Sherlock Holmes is Like. I’ve also contributed a monograph to an upcoming Baker Street Irregulars book, Corporals, Colonels and Commissionaires.

Register now for Holmes, Doyle, & Friends and get the early-bird discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment