Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Quintessential Quote #26

"What ineffable twaddle!"
-- John H. Watson, M.D.
A Study in Scarlet, Chapter 2

I like both words in the phrase "ineffable twaddle," and I love the two of them together. I don't think Dr. Watson ever came up with a more felicitous phrase in the entire Canon.

Not long ago I was surprised to learn that some well-read people I know regard the word "ineffable" as exotic, or at least unusual. I've known the word since I was about nine years old and read the above quote. According to my somewhat outdated dictionary, it means "incapable of being expressed in words: indescribable."

Well, I think that's what it sounds like, just as I think "twaddle" sounds like "idle silly talk: drivel."

I hope you have not found this blog to be ineffable twaddle. Since I launched it on May 28, it has received close to 7,000 page views from around the world. I'm committed to blogging every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with Monday always devoted to a Quintessential Quote. Particularly timely items and shameless promotions of my books may come on other days.

All this has added up to 99 posts. My 100th post on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, will be devoted to listing all that I am thankful for this year as a writer and as a Sherlockian. Readers of this blog are high on that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment